Support and Information:

Community Living Connections Washington State 

Use this site to find all sorts of services and get answers to your questions about being a caregiver for an adult or elder. For example, on the home page is a search tool where you can put in your county and a keyword, such as “Adult Day Services”. The search will return a list of programs and companies in that county that offer adult day services.

This is also the site to find respite options available through publicly funded organizations such as Aging and Disability Resource Centers. Options may include expanded Medicaid options such as Tailored Support for Older Adults/Medicaid Alternative Care (for those not qualifying for Medicaid based on income) and COPES (Community Options Program Entry System); the Family Caregiver Support Program respite funding (may be based on sliding income scale), and other potential options for families who are not able to self-pay.


(Lesbian, Gay, Transgender, Bisexual, Questioning/Queer, “+”-indicates that this acronym expands to include individuals of diverse identities relating to gender, identity, sexuality, and relationships.)

SAGE, Advocacy & Services for LGBTQ+ Elders, says “We’re a national advocacy and services organization that’s been looking out for LGBTQ+ [their acronym] elders since 1978. We build welcoming communities and keep our issues in the national conversation to ensure a fulfilling future for all LGBTQ+ people”.

Among their many resources and program areas is the National Resource Center on LGBTQ+ Aging, covering:

  • Caregiving
  • LGBTQ+ inclusion and cultural competency
  • Elder abuse and neglect
  • Social security, Medicare, and Medicaid
  • Health care
  • Financial security and retirement
  • Housing

The WA State SAGE Affiliate is SAGE Olympia. Contact them through their website at

Washington Agencies and Programs with Respite for Adults and Elders

  • Easter Seals Washington: a statewide organization that serves adults and children who have special needs. 800.678.5708. Respite programs include camps and family retreats.
  • Family Caregiver Support Program: Offers information on available services, assists in getting access to services, and may provide counseling, support groups, caregiver training, and respite care. Respite care is usually on a sliding scale to provide financial support. You can search for a Family Caregiver Support Program in your county at Community Living Connections Washington State.
  • Lifespan Respite Washington Voucher Program: “mini-grants” in the form of vouchers for short-term respite with programs and agencies registered with Lifespan Respite WA. The online application is on the Voucher Program page.
  • Catholic Community Services of Western WA  offers services for seniors and individuals with disabilities in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish/Island, Clallam/Jefferson/Kitsap, King, Pierce, Mason/Lewis/Thurston, Grays Harbor/Pacific, and Wahkiakum/Cowlitz/Clark/Skamania counties. Each county or grouped counties location offers some type of services for seniors and individuals with disabilities who are in need of support services. Some of these services may provide a break or assistance for family caregivers. Types of services include but are not limited to: Home Care, Home delivered meals, Senior Housing, Senior Transportation, Volunteer Services, Volunteer Transportation, and Senior Nutrition. Not every county location will have all services.
  • Catholic Charities Eastern Washington offers chore services provided by volunteers to seniors and individuals with disabilities. Chore services can offer breaks to family caregivers as well as to those individuals getting services. They serve Spokane, Colville, Walla Walla, and Wilbur.
  • Hilarity for Charity and the Home Instead Senior Care network are working together to award in-home care grants to those providing care to their loved ones living with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias. Hilarity for Charity is proud to have awarded over 211,000 hours of in-home respite care across the United States and Canada.
  • Senior Companion Program WA State: Trained, stipended volunteers aged 55+ assist elders who need services in their homes to live independently. Types of help may include, but are not limited to assistance with shopping, bill paying, help with understanding Medicare, caregiver respite help for individuals with Alzheimer’s, help with hospital discharge, arrange for needed support services and advocate for elders. Americorps funds the Senior Companion Program. Agencies and contacts:

Catholic Family & Child Service

5301 Tieton Dr., Suite C
Yakima, Washington 98908
Project Director: Dee Davidson
Phone: 509-965-7100
Service Area: Benton | Franklin | Yakima | Walla Walla

Lutheran Community Services NW

223 North Yakima
Tacoma, Washington 98403 
Project Director: Sara Call
Phone: 253-722-5686
Service Area: Kitsap | Pierce

Homage Senior Services

5026 196th Street SW
Lynnwood, WA 98036 
Program Coordinator: Mary Ann Higgins
Phone: 425-265-2225
Service Area: King | Snohomish

For other resources and information about caregiving, visit the Resources page.